Fear began creeping into me, as I looked into her bedroom from across the street. My palms began to get clammy and my heart began to race, I could feel my long dark bangs beginning to stick to my forehead, and I thought I was going to faint. “ I can do this , I can do this.” was what I kept repeating in my head. The loud thunder and crack of lightning gave me the momentum I needed. I dashed from my hiding spot, through her front yard, and into the side of her garage. I knew getting into her house from here was going to be easy all I needed to do was climb up the vines and into her already opened window. As I placed my hand in the first vine, looking in the downstairs window, I saw her walking down the stairs and I knew this was my chance to get in. Moving closer to the window, I stared at her, her beautiful long hair and the way the refrigerator light made her body into a beautiful silhouette . Noticing me she dropped her glass as I ducked under the window. It was time to move.
I kept climbing the vines and pulling myself up. Grabbing onto the ledge, I pulled my legs over and landed on her plush blue carpet. Walking around her room I noticed she had subtle things such as a pictures of her and her friends. Scoff , her friends, All she needed was me. I couldn’t help but noticing that she was the prettiest one of all, her long brunette hair fell in beautiful curls down her shoulders, her beautiful heart shaped face and full dimples, but most of all her beautiful green eyes that sparkled with brightness with a hint of mystery. I started to rummage through her drawers and sat on her bed, imagining that she and I were here. Hearing the stairs creak under her weight, I ran to her dresser and grabbed a necklace. Having my heart pounding in my chest, I felt as if I were about to fall, but I steadied myself on the vine and was able to land safely on the ground. Making my way across the street, I stared back up at her window as she paced back and forth, the light in her room offering clarity.
Running back to my car, I pulled the door shut behind me and turned on the heat. Sitting back in my seat I gasped for air, and looked at myself in the mirror, my jet black hair disheveled, my wild hazel eyes, and pale white skin, where red now stained my cheeks. I then closed my eyes, reliving every second that just happened. This was the best feeling I had gotten in a while, everyday when I saw her, my adrenaline started pumping and I became lost within myself staring at her for what seemed like hours. Digging into my pockets, I grabbed the necklace and observed it, It was beautiful just like her, a green infinity sign on a snake chain. This was going to symbolize us , I thought as I put the chain on. Driving down her block, there was a strike of lightning that painted the sky and I knew in my heart, that was a message that she and I were meant to be together.
Driving up to my house, dread began to take over my body. I stared at my house, the ugly dead lawn, black windows, and the stale smell of alcohol. This place was more like a junkyard than a place one will call home. Getting out of the car, I held onto the necklace that was hanging on my neck preparing myself for anything as I walked through the doors. “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN YOU PIECE OF SHIT.” I flinched as her words pierced my ears. “Mothers” , “ARE YOU STUPID.” she continued as I walked past her. Grabbing me she threw me onto the couch and there was an instant shock of pain in my side. “No where that concerns you, you pathetic slob.” I snared, pushing her off of me, I walked to my room and slammed the door. She continued yelling, her words slurring from her already heavy tongue. Laying down on my bed, my ribs felt as if they were cracked, but then I began falling asleep touching the necklace, and dreaming of seeing her face tomorrow.
The next morning I was awakened by the soft rumble of thunder, and the sound of raindrops hitting my air conditioner. Hearing snoring coming from the other room, I quickly got up, regretting it as I doubled over in pain and fell. Walking quickly past the living room, I saw my mom, half of her body hanging off of the couch and a bottle clutched in her hands. After showering I began to get ready quickly, pulling on my black jeans and shirt, and left my hair to hang in my face. Hiding the necklace beneath my shirt, I ran out of my house and into my car. Driving up to the empty parking lot, I grabbed a rose from the flower garden, and walked into the empty school. I knew kids would start showing up soon and I needed to place the flower in Katherine’s locker. Turning her combination, I grabbed a piece of paper, and pricked myself with the thorn using my blood to make a heart. Pushing the note through the thorn, I stuffed it in her locker, and went to the library.
The rest of the day went by as it usually did, kids staring at me as if I were a serial killer. Teachers tolerating me. Going to the library for lunch instead of being in the noisy cafeteria, but last period was approaching and I could feel the flutters beginning again in my body. At the start of the school year, I was luckily placed behind her and I couldn’t wait to smell, her apple scented hair wash, and mango scented lotion. Rushing into class, I was immediately pissed off when I saw she had traded seats with her friend, to sit closer to the most popular guy in school, Andrew Kitt. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach and fingers curled into a fist as I went to take my seat.
Reflection:
While work shopping this draft, several struggles that I am currently facing is not knowing how I would like my story to end and where I will like to go from here. I also struggle with getting into character, because I want to write in the mindset of my protagonist, and make people afraid of him, but also feel sympathy toward him which is hard because I want to find the proper balance. Things that I have done to overcome this has been to ask people for their advice, which has helped because I was able to make my protagonist scarier, but also let people see the other side on what is going on with him at home. What I have learned about myself as a writer, is that I am able to get into different roles and be different people, if I allow myself to only get into their mindset and live through their eyes, which is something I never knew I could accomplish. My piece isn't the way I would like it to be right now, but I plan on giving this story a perfect ending.
No comments:
Post a Comment