Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Final Reflection D:

Final Reflection

Dear Reader, 



Being apart of Hunter College early college program has helped me to be better prepared for my future college career mostly because now I know what to expect. Being at Hunter has helped become more familiarized with a college campus, especially one in the city and as I move onto another school, I know what resources are able to me and I have a feel for the college atmosphere. Some obstacles that I faced during the course of the year was not paying attention or following the schedule that I had planned out for myself. I also kind of started slacking in the middle by showing up late or not going to my classes.  I also started slacking in some of my work by not turning assignments on in time. Ways that I was able to overcome this was printing out homework the day before class, and trying to finish assignments days in advance. A moment of great success that I experienced this year was when I received a 90 on my research paper for my English 120 class. It was the second to last class for English 120 and I had a one on one conversation with my professor because she had to look over my portfolio, as we sat down she looked excited and said “You did really well on your paper.” then she says “Wait let me not say that because I might be wrong.” I became very excited and as she took my paper out of the pile I saw a 90 and smiled as she passed it over to me. This was a moment of success because she was not the type of teacher to give out 90s or above so when I received one I felt accomplished.

There is so much that I learned over the course of the fiction writing class that I would be able to take with me as I continue on to college. I learned so many techniques such as 1,2,and 3rd person, subtext and how to incorporate them into my writing and improve my writing style. What I learned about myself as a writer is that if I push myself hard enough then I can write in any form or style that I am asked to use. At first as a writer I was very limited but now after learning from reading different styles and just being in this class I am now opened to more horizons and can take my pieces further than before.

This year I took 2 Hunter College courses Geography 101 and English 120. They were both my favorite classes because they both had good and bad qualities about them. I loved Geography because I was able to learn more about my environment, but even though our teacher tried to make the course exciting there was days that I wanted to jump out a window because of boredom. English 120 on the other hand has been a good experience, and I loved my professor especially because she was funny and would present out there ideas and make the whole class laugh at her antics. There are many things that I need to work on in order to become a successful college student, things that I need to do included following a schedule as not to get behind in my work and also finish assignments at an appropriate time. Ways that I plan on working on these skills include filling out my schedule after I received it and find places on campus where I can focus and get work done. Places that I studied on campus included the library, especially in those private rooms and in study groups. Facilities that I used at Hunter included the library and gym.

Things that I have learned about myself over the course of being apart of this program is that I have many things that I need to work on in order to be a successful student in my coming college years. I learned that there are simple ways for me to overcome my faults if I put my mind to it and are able to separate from people and truly concentrate on my work from time to time. I am not sure where I would be attending in the fall but I have to choose from LaGuardia, Medgar Evers, New England College or SUNY Dutchess. My personal goals for the future include going into a field of study where I would be happy but also make a good living. I also want to travel to  countries on at least 5 out of the 7 continents, I want to have a nice home, most likely in Canada and I want to have a family.

In 5 years I see myself finishing college , hopefully without debt and being able to get a job so I can atleast move into a nice apartment. In 10 years I see myself already have traveled to at least 3 countries, and starting a family, but my goal is to also be able to give back to my country, Trinidad and help kids who are in rough situations. In 20 years I see myself working stable job that I love and just enjoying life and facing anything that is thrown my way. Advice that I would give to future MHSHS students who are about to embark on this journey, is mainly donot take this opportunity for granted. Even though it is fun because now coming from the high school you have a lot  more freedom, we have to remember how to balance everything whether it is school work then time to socialize. I would mainly tell them to gain as much experience, whether it is making college friends or knowing where facilities are located and where to study, every minute on the campus would be able to prepare them for their transition into a new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment